If you write for web, you should read Hot Text - web writing that works.
The book is written for those who want to improve their writing for the web.
It offers both generic tips like:
- writing should be short, simple and clear
- break up long paragraphs into short ones
- make text scannable
- remove hype and marketoid speak
- write in active voice
- write with emotions
- have a personal voice
- link to other sites (gives you credibility)
as well as addresses specific kinds of web content:
- home page
- navigation menus
- help section and FAQs
- product information
- e-mail responses to customers
- web marketing copy
- press release
- e-mail newsletters
While not as deep and inspiring as “On writing well”, it’s filled with practical advice.